23 Dec How to Snack Smart to Conquer Cravings
It’s inevitable that when adopting new healthy eating habits that you’ll be tempted or have cravings. The next time you feel the urge to indulge satisfy your craving – and stay on track with these simple tips and tricks that will help you snack smarter. Before I get into smart snacks and conquering cravings, first I’ll go over what cravings are and why they happen.
Why do Cravings Happen?
Often times, our go-to foods contain ingredients that affect our body’s at the cellular level. A lot of foods contain hormone-fluctuating ingredients that physically alter our mood, blood sugar, hunger and desires for specific foods. This graphic breaks down different craving and how they affect your body, hunger and mood.
How to Snack Smart and Conquer Cravings
Before you start thinking about food…
- Ask yourself “Am I hungry?” If you’re not truly hungry, but craving eating try these tips:
- Drink Water – This will take up space in your Tummy help you feel satisfied and prevent eating…
- Brush Your Teeth – Toothpaste makes food taste bitter, cleans your teeth, and you’ll think twice about eating
- Chew Gum – Chewing gum will keep your mouth busy – This is effective for people with oral fixation
- Still Tempted? – Phone a friend, read a magazine, or take a walk instead
If you are truly hungry or craving something specific, try these healthy alternatives to snack smart. Cravings are indicative of nutrient deficiencies and hormone imbalances. These smart substitution will help you satisfy your cravings and help restore nutrient deficiencies that are causing the cravings in the first place.
How to Snack Smart with Healthy + Skinny Substitutions
- Chocolate – Mix a tablespoon of chocolate syrup into non or low-fat milk and savor slowly – you’ll quench your craving and get bonus serving of calcium
- Pasta – Make zucchini noodles
- Salt? – Pickles
- Try Soup – Broth Based soups are salty, filling and low in calories
- Pizza – Make your own and use cauliflower crust
- Pat Down Pizza – Get thin crust, light cheese, extra veggies, and lean protein. Don’t eat the crust and blot off the grease with your napkin before your first bite and save major calories.
- Want Something Sweet? – Try Greek yogurt with berries and almonds for delicious fat fighting nutrients and antioxidants.
If you’re still craving sugar… then try this crazy trick that kills sugar cravings in seconds…
If you’re still craving salt, eat a banana and drink a glass (or 2 of water). Often time salt craving are indicative of dehydration and potassium deficiency. Drinking water and eating a banana will help correct both. #winning
Sometimes, a skinny substation just won’t work. If you find yourself feeling like I-know-better-but-I-want-it-anyway…. then try these tips.
Healthy Tips to Satisfy Cravings and Snack Smart
- Drink a glass (or 2) of Water – The water will physically take up space in your tummy, preventing the ability to overeat. Plus, the water will help you feel satisfied and full, so you won’t want to over-do it.
- Order off the Kids Menu – You’ll get a smaller serving size, save money, and calories
- Share – Order the fries, nachos, or wings if you simply must have them but split them with the table
- Destroy It – Order what you’re craving – as soon as the craving is satisfied and you’re feeling full — trash whatever is left on the plate… pour salt on it or cover with your napkin. Seriously. You’ll instantly prevent overindulging and save yourself hundreds of calories.
It works, if you work it!
Your Coach and Biggest Cheerleader